Teachers Enhancement Intensive Berlin
January 30 – February 4, 2018
This 50 hour intensive will boost your practice and sharpen your teaching skills. Each day will focus deeply on a primary category of teaching skill, a sequencing strategy and a postural category. You will expand your tool kit in sequencing for alignment classes, sequencing for vinyasa classes, effective verbal cues, observation and pose improvement, postural demonstrations, physical adjustments and class themes (myth and metaphor). Expect strong intermediate practices each day with Noah to further develop your own asana practice and understanding of pose architecture. You will be met right where you are at in your teaching experience and you will go to the next level in a supportive and rigorous learning environment. Each day will include homework assignments to complete by the next day; welcome to yoga school!
What you will learn:
DAY 1 CREATE:
Sequencing Strategies for Success
We lay the groundwork for creating effective class plans and sequences for a variety of purposes.
• Sequencing for alignment based classes
• Introduction to YOGAMAZÉ sequencing templates
• Sequencing for repetition of shape and action
• Sequencing for vinyasa classes
• Sequencing for creativity
• Sequencing for peak pose classes
• Sequencing for beginners
• Sequencing for student progress in one class and over time
Asana session: Stand
This standing pose class will ground you and prepare you for whatever lies ahead, as standing poses prepare you for every other type of pose. Expect clear instructions, step by step sequencing, strong work in fundamental poses, refinements and some good old fashioned standing poses.
DAY 2 SPEAK:
Communicating in the Seat of the Teacher
“Say what you mean, mean what you say.” Refine your use of language so that every word conveys your meaning. We will refine verbal cues so that your voice is more potent and your instructions are more resonant:
• Potent and accurate verbs
• Active voice and passive voice
• Instructions for what to do
• Instructions for how to do it
• Instructional hierarchy of foundation, basic shape, key actions, and refinements
Asana session: Sit
This all levels forward bend focused class will open your legs, hips and back to move progressively and safely into deepening seated forward bends, hip openers and twists and inversions. Expect step by step instructions, progressive sequencing, the use of props and applied anatomy to strengthen and safely unlock the potency of these introverted poses.
DAY 3 SEE:
Observation, Demonstration & Pose Improvement Strategies
“A picture is worth a thousand words.” The ability to show students what you mean is crucial. Many of your students are visual learners and they won’t fully understand you until they see it. We will explore and practice a variety of types of postural demonstrations and pose improvement strategies:
• How to see and observe students
• Fine tuning your sight
• Demonstrating pose shape
• Demonstrating pose improvement
• Demonstrating key actions
• Use of demonstrations in vinyasa classes
• Use of demonstration for beginners
• Reading the room: Using demonstration to change the flow or energy in class
Asana Session: Extend
This strong mixed level backbend workshop will systematically strengthen your core and open your shoulders, upper back and hips/legs for backbends. We will progress from fundamental backbends into Urdhva Dhanurasana (Upward Bow/Full Wheel), standing up to Tadasana from Urdhva Dhanurasana and dropping back from Tadasana to Urdhva Dhanurasana. Expect step by step teaching, careful and specific sequencing, work with props, modifications, options and clear stages for all levels, and a passionate call to engage your heart.
DAY 4 TOUCH:
Increase the skill and efficacy of your use of touch. We will explore considerations of when and who and how to touch, as well as different types of physical adjustments in a variety common poses.
• Anatomy brush up: New ideas you might not have considered
• Permission and boundaries
• Stabilizing touch
• Indicative touch
• Directional touch
Asana session: Fly
Demystify arm balances in this strong all levels workshop. Expect plenty of core strengthening, standing poses, hip openers and upper body strengtheners as we systematically deconstruct, prepare for, and reconstruct arm-balancing postures. Experience the graceful power of these poses and be ready for some breakthroughs!
DAY 5 REACH:
Conscious Use of Myth and Metaphor
We focus and hone in on more subtle aspects of teaching: theme, metaphor and the evocative power of mythic consciousness. We explore:
• The conscious use of myth and metaphor
• Class themes
• Mythic narrative and storytelling
• Class opening and closing strategies
• Theme integration strategies
• Tools to deepen Sadhana
• Vulnerability and teaching
• Ethics and boundaries
Asana session: Awaken
This session will deeply explore the principles that empower you to open your body/mind/heart safely and powerfully, by building opening and awareness in a well-rounded, potent, full spectrum practice of asana, pranayama, and meditation. We will dive deeply into our bodies, minds and hearts to enjoy the bliss of integrated awareness and ability.
DAY 6 BREATHE:
Vinyasa Sequencing and Transitions
We study vinyasa flow sequencing and teaching techniques to highlight breath and movement, rhythm and momentum of continuous practice without sacrificing sound alignment. We explore:
• Pranayama and effective use of breath as primary support
• Crafting intelligent, effective and creative vinyasa sequences
• Weaving form, foundation in precision into the flow
• Teaching transitions
• Learning new and healthy biomechanical approaches to vinyasa
• Pacing and pulse: the dance of holding and flowing
• Sustainable sequencing
• Set sequence vinyasa: Why?
• Beginner strategies
• Intermediate strategies
• Considering how to develop advanced sequences
Asana session: Flow
This strong all levels vinyasa workshop will build on fundamental vinyasa poses and transitions (sun salutations), build heat, focus and strength as we progress into increasingly complex and creative peak sequences that combine standing poses, hip openers, arm balances, inversions and backbends. Expect strong continuous practice, in rhythm with your breath, alignment combined with flow. Come ready to play hard and challenge your practice.